Context is Key
American Institute of Architects Denver Citation Award
The Louisville Public Library had a humble beginning, opening its doors in 1924 while occupying a room in the town hall. Since then the library has grown and calls its 31,000 square foot two-story building, designed by Humphries Poli Architects, home. The library includes a children’s room, teen loft, homework center, adult collection, listening room, study nook, quiet reading area, computer center, gallery, community room, and below grade parking lot.
Located 25 miles north of Denver, CO, Louisville was built by coal miners and incorporated as a town in 1882. This strong history of coal mining influenced the site placement and design of the Louisville Public Library. After consideration of two sites the library chose to locate itself on a corner .8 acre site on Main Street.
Architecture and structure are carefully married on this corner site and deliberately seek to reflect the scale and energy of the humble buildings of the American West. Brick, stone, and steel provide a familiar palette, gravity and texture to the building.
The public entry of the library is announced by a small civic plaza dedicated to historic local mining activities. The interior of the library is warm and welcoming offering an oasis for its patrons.
The Louisville Public Library is an integral part of the downtown fabric serving its community and history well.