The Perfect Blend
Gunnison County Courthouse
The Gunnison County Courthouse provides a cutting edge new facility while honoring history of the community and its architecture. This 46,590 square foot building pays homage to the 1881 courthouse by re-using historical elements while sitting prominently on the site. The original wood trusses, tin ceilings, and brick were salvaged during demolition and used in the visual recreation to mark the historical importance of the building. Located centrally on the site of the original courthouse, this building is flanked on each side by a curved glass lobby that engages the original 1881 elements. The two wings act as silhouettes of what was original to the town of Gunnison and focuses the attention back on what will now be the entrance and large board room for the county commissioners. The courthouse sits raised on a pediment to represent the significance of the judicial process.
The new courthouse, designed by Architect of Record Roth Sheppard and Associate Architect Humphries Poli, provides appropriate security for a court facility with three new courtrooms, administrative space, and other various public use areas. Sustainable strategies include a large geothermal system, localized materials, passive ventilation, and, of course, reuse of existing building elements.