Building Onto History
Oregon City Public Library
Oregon City, OR
Built in 1913 and originally funded by Andrew Carnegie, the library stood as a symbol of the Oregon City community. The building served as the library for almost 100 years, until the late 1990s. At that time, the library relocated to a leased facility after a needs analysis determined the original Carnegie building was inadequate. In 2010, the community pushed once more for the library to relocate and expand. After studying over 30 sites, the community determined that the best place to expand library services was on the site of the Carnegie Building and Carnegie Park.
Humphries Poli Architects was the Library Architect, along with Scott Edwards Architecture, Architect of Records, on the design for a renovation to the 7,000 SF existing Oregon City Library and a 13,000 SF addition to meet the needs of the community. Located along the back of the existing building, the addition preserves the historic structure’s original entry. A former exterior masonry wall now serves as a connection between the old and the new in the central two-story atrium space.